Mad people

I think I am mad... along with other mad people around the world and ages. People who do things which no others do are being deemed as mad. This is evident in history, like the following few mad people I'm going to show you:

1. Christopher Columbus
He is surely one mad person. At the age where everyone believes that the world is flat, he chose to believe that the world is round and indeed, spent all his fortune, in order to get sponsors for his project. He had the theory (though we know it's no longer a theory now) that if he sail in one direction, he would eventually come back to the same place. Therefore, he set off. With a fleet of three ships, he sailed towards the west direction of Europe, hoping that he would reach India by that direction. For a thousand plus days, he sailed and sailed. When he found the New World, aka America today, he only had one ship left, with mutiny on the verge. when future generations read his diary years later, there was only one thing written in every page- Today we shall sail towards the southwest direction.... Isn't he a mad person????

2. Neil Armstrong
40 years ago, there was this kid, who dreamt of flying to the moon. In an age where air travel was still considered a bit dangerous, let alone space travel (not sure how NASA was progressing at that time), to have such a dream was ... simply mad, crazy, unbelievable. But this kid, whom we know now as Neil Armstrong, became the first guy to step onto the moon, in a space project when he wasn't even the first choice to be picked for. In fact, at that point of time, the US government had intended him to be a sacrifice for the future progress of mankind. But undeterred, he still stepped onto the moon, and therefore 'one small step from me, one big step for mankind'. Knowing that he may not even return back to Earth safely, this is surely a ... person who ought to be sent to Woodbridge....

3. ???
This guy was born on the 16 Sept 1923, in a large two-storey bungalow at 92 Kampong Java Road. His education was cut short when the Japanese invaded. During the Sook Ching operation, he was almost 'terminated' from the face of the Earth forever. He carried on his education after the war, in Cambridge, as a law undergrad, and he graduated with a double distinction. Face it lah, how many of us can graduate from Cambridge with a double distinction? When he returned to Singapore, he practised the discipline that he had gotten from England... most of the time against the colonial master themselves. 21 Nov 1954 saw him forming his own political party, and thus began his political journey. 9 August 1965 saw him facing the biggest challenge of his life.... by now, I think you all know who I am talking about. Yes, this guy, whom a lot of people called a tyrant, is LKY, Lee Kuan Yew. Honestly, in a climate where foreign press doubted Singapore's survival and even Singaporeans themselves doubted it, who would be so mad to declare that we would survive, especially when there is no natural resources, limited population, little industrialisation and political instability and furthermore, almost no defence force? Hmm.... but the result shows today, no matter how many people say. I believe that results speak the loudest.

So..., what am I trying to say? As usual, to all my readers, I would like to stand by my view that having a dream is important. Look at the mad people of the past, there are others of course. But look at them!!! Didn't they have a dream? Who, in the god damn history, succeeded just like that? Who had success coming to them just like that, and they blur blur say, 'huh? I succeeded?' Look, I'm not targeting anyone, but to forsaken dreams I think it's a very sad thing to do. If Christopher Columbus forsake his dreams then, we wouldn't have Hollywood or whatever shit we are having now. If he had, for god sake, gave in to the god forsaken view of the Church that the world is flat (I dun mean to attack anyone or any religion, so dun make an issue, I'll be pissed), I think I wouldn't be sitting here typing this blog. Yes, because you have dreams, that's why you will be willing to pay the price for it and work for it. What you reap, you sow. That's the meaning. With dreams, it's really that case and there won't be (of course let your dreams be attainable lah) the case where you reap and you dun sow. If Napoleon Hill, after taking 20 years interviewing 507 of the most successful people on Earth, in his book 'Think and Grow Rich', reached this same conclusion in his quote 'What you perceive and believe, you can achieve', I can't see why, with dreams, you can't achieve anything.

Of course, there are people who tend to say 'what if all along what you are searching for is not really what you are searching for? What if you lose something after you fulfill your dream?' Of course, if that something you are searching is not what you really wanted, then it's just not a dream to begin with. Lose something? The it just means that you are not doing it the correct way, or you are simply an inbalanced guy. If you all really notice, all successful people never really lose anything after they succeeded. You say family? Whose family broke up after they succeeded? If you can find me one example, I'll do whatever you ask me to do. Of course, as we are working towards a happy life, we must also make sure that we work happy.

This may be the last post on my dream series for now. May be, but may not be too. I'll see what else do I have to share. Lastly, do you have a dream?

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream

I have a dream, a fantasy
To help me through reality
And my destination makes it worth the while
Pushing through the darkness still another mile
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream - ABBA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection