A war poem

"They came for the Communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me."

- Pastor Martin Niemoller

One of the poems that came out of WWII. I post this up because I came across this in my lecture notes and felt that should post it for everyone's viewing pleasure, provided that you appreciate it, of course. In any case, this poem was written in Nazi Germany and it attempts to depict the brutality of the Nazi regime. Well written and well said, in my honest opinion. For those who are left clueless, go read up. You all ought to know a little bit about history... By the way, who says history is boring??????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection