Hakuna Matata

It means no worries
For the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!


Hmm...., sounds not bad. Hakuna Matata... till this day, it's still my favourite disney song from my favourite disney animation: Lion King. Yeah, Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase... ain't no passing craze at all. But let's ask ourselves one question: in this modern society, is it really possible to be problem-free at all. In the context of Lion King, Simba was driven away from his rightful inheritance, and found hiself ended up with the carefree Timon and Pumbaa. He could afford to be problem free there with them. But can we?

Take for example a student at NUS. Given that he's the average student who works when he should be and play when he should be, he will surely have problems - either with his project mates, essays, lecturers or maybe even girlfriend. He might even have to cope with his own financial problems. Likewise, even a monk will have his own problems with the temptations around him (I'm not that knowledgable about monks and nuns and stuffs). Even a hermit will have his own problem finding food and water and a shelter to live under.

It is often difficult to avoid problems in life. If there is no problem, we will not progress and we will become too complacent with life itself. But often, problems may seem more than what we can handle. Fortunately, the bible offers us one solution when we find things too much to handle:

"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
- Matthew 11:27-30


Other verses can be found in my previous blog posts. But what I find intriguing about this verse is that Jesus told us that His burden is light. I dun know what other thinks but at the time when He said this, I reckon His burden was even heavier than the total number of weight put together on Earth, cos He has to bear all the sins of Mankind. Tell me, how 'light' a burden is this. But yet He offers us rest in Him. This can only be grace.

This can only be grace.

Therefore, in other words, it is possible to 'Hakuna Matata', cos we can find rest in Jesus. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection