To give up II

Give up? Why? Why would I give up what I have given up in order to serve God?

Now, understand that one of the most valuable things that a person could possibly have is an intimate relationship with God. That same God who is big enough and powerful enough to create the whole universe is also small enough and caring enough to desire a personal relationship with you--a relationship that will last for eternity. And such an intimate friendship does not happen by chance and it requires time, as other relationships will.

There is principle in the bible which states that you reap what you sow:

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously
- 2 Corinthians 9:6

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
- Galatians 6:7-8


This counts for some truth. We cannot reap what we have not sown. Likewise for a relationship, we cannot have an intimate relationship with someone unless we invest in it. In other words, I cannot know God well if I don't invest significant amount of time and energy serving Him. I need to make up for the lost time:

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
- Ephesians 5:15-16


I just have to use my time wisely, considering that I have to also spend substantial amount of time in my studies and my ECA involvements (you are not mistaken, it's ECA, not CCA). That means that I have to give up on certain things in order to do that. And time, it is the price I must pay for intimacy with God. And I know it. Dichotemies asides, clashes of values aside, but time is so much an important factor. I just cannot let go of it. I need to manage my time better, and I chose God. That's part of the explanation, but not the full one.

Hence, to give up, to take up the cross? I chose to give up and take up the cross.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection