Granted blogs irritation syndrome

Recently just went to watch the movie, 'Lady in the water', by M. Night Shyamalan. It was quite a good show, though I dun understand why people went in with a preconception that it's a horror movie. It's actually a fantasy movie which I think has very interesting narration style. Imagine a story narrated in a story, which is actually the story itself. Sound chim but it's exactly the way the movie was being narrated. I'm not going to reveal the plot here, at least i dun wanna spoil the movie for other people who have not watched the show yet. But what I found most amusing during the 1 hr 50 min is the two very 'cute' sisters besides me on that night. I was really quite amused and entertained by them, (not in a bad way), though I think it's not that good to scream and get too excited when people wanna watch movie in peace.

Recently there was an article in the newspaper about blogging. Read it while I was doing ushering at the Hope membership class. My dear brother, Yeuann, blogged about it. That article sets people thinking, exactly what's the purpose of blogs in our life. Actually, when you set up a blog, put in a tagboard, do you really expect people to tag whenever they enter your blog to read the content? When you set up a blog, do you really expect that people will eventually find their way into your blog and eventually get hooked by the details of your private life? I classified blogs into two main categories - the life story class, and the topical reflective thought provoking class. The life story type of blog is what many blogs are, they record the life of the owners. But this is precisely the type of blog which I think is the most irritating. I personally dun mind reading this genre of blog if it's being updated regularly. The problem comes when people decide to update irregularly. It becomes irritating when you read a post about X's life on 12/01/2001 and the next time you see an update about his life is on 25/12/2003, writing about what happened on Christmas eve. You get the idea. However, it doesn't mean that it's fun reading those blogs where people record their own life stories. Stuffs like sarongpartygirl isn't exactly that healthy to read anyway. I mean, why would you wanna read someone's sex life?

The second type of blog is normally what I'm looking for when I browse through my list of blogs. They can also record life stories, but the records will tend to post provoking questions and reflective questions to the readers. They can link daily happenings to larger issues for the readers. This is exactly the kind of blog that's interesting to read. But unfortunately sometimes I tend to get irritated by the topics discussed in some of these kind of blogs, like happycitizen. That guy is simply a coward who tries to undermine the very authority God has instilled on him. Reading his blog makes me feel ashamed of him.

In any case, moving back to the main topic here, it's normally the first type of blogs with regular and juicy updates and the second type with highly controversial issues will become really famous. But is there any point in all these at all? I would wanna keep track of how many people have browsed my blog, but do I really care if my blog makes it to the headline. The very idea of this blog, the very focus of this blog after 10/12/2005 made it such that people who are not interested in the type of issues I'm concerned with will not wanna come in. It made it such that the issues dicussed may only interest a small group of people. I dun exactly think that this blog will become famous anyway. People say that the things I blog are too chim for them, and I think it's okay, because my target audience are those who really bother to think about the issues that I want to bring out in my blog.

Have been thinking for the past few hours, whether how normally people are when things get taken for granted, esp for people. People take people for granted and are taken by people for granted. It's actually the one character deficiency in every person. Regardless we realise or not, sometime we tend to take people for granted. We were learning about how to connect to people yesterday, and it was questioned how many people got taken for granted before. I have to admit that I have taken people for granted before and a lot of times somemore. I just began to think of my JC classmates. When it comes to taking people for granted, I think no group of people can fight with my JC friends, especially my classmates and sometimes my SC friends. Not intending for personal attacks though. Anyway, I dun mind being taken for granted, but there's one thing which I truly hate and despise. In Alan's word, it is more revoking than a Semicorp waste truck. I think the pinnacle of taking people for granted is when you disregard the time of the others. I dun mind people taking me for granted but I mind people taking my time for granted. I especially hate it when people are late for appointments, when people take their own sweet time moving from one place to another, when people drag the time beyond the stipulated one, when you organise something and decide to come out of something last minute and making the workers overworking. I got a lot of friends like that. I sort of got used to it and began thinking that this is the way things tend to be. It's especially so when you are expected to gracious towards other and not be so petty at late timings or what. I really feel like trying once not forgiving the latecomers and just go off. But then, it doesn't work that way either. So I sort of began to take on the habit of leaving home late if I know I'm going off to meet a group of people who dun know the beauty of punctuality and enjoys taking other people's time for granted.

Well, so much for rattering about being taken for granted. I think I, together with all of us, have to reflect upon this: taking people for granted. It's time to really appreciate others in our life.

I was looking at the bidding stats for round 1a and 1b and I was checking out the market for certain mod in round 1c. Rather some unexpected twists in this year's bidding. Last year, the highest bid in 1a and 1b is the most near 2000 for FASS, this year, there are people from FASS who puts in 3000. Seems like desperate times bring out desperate bidders who brainlessly put in insanely imba amt of points in their bid to get the mod they want. More surprising is that people actually spend 500 points to bid for HY1101E. Times have changed. Gone is the days when people would rather avoid history and take other more boring modules.

Speaking about history as a boring subject, I was sharing with a freshman yesterday about school stuff. We were talking about how we dun like memorising stuff, which sort of affects our choice of study subjects. He chose to avoid history because he said there was a lot of memorising to do. I chose to do history to show that you dun need to memorise in history to do well. Sometimes, I just wanna knock the stereotype people have in history out of their head. It is true that history requires the student to know a lot of dates and details but tell me which subject dun need. The only difference between history and maths and science is that math and science you are allowed to bring help sheet into the exam hall. But I think people ought to wake up their idea about history. It is tested and proven that history is not about memorising and not that boring. I just wonder how learning the dynamics of 1+1=2 can surpass learning the beauty of interpreting the past. But that's not the main point. The main point is that people ought to really wake up their ideas and stop giving strange look to those who are doing history. History is not about how much you know but how much you understand. That's why I get very irritated when I see sec4 students memorising their fact and vomit them out in the exam hall, literally reproducing the textbook in their exam papers, using literally the amount of paper I use to write a decent essay to answer a 1 mark question. I have seen them enough in my sec sch days to know that these things happen. I also get irritated by JC students who think that lecture notes are all they need to score well, and when the time comes, reproduce their lecture notes. This type of people is even worse than the former because at the end of the day, this type of people dun know what they are answering. Anyway, I think you get the idea, that history is actually a more dynamic subject than what you think.

500 points for HY1101E... interesting... but that's the limit for history, the rest doesn't seem that popular at all...

Signing off for now. Rattering session over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity