National Day rattering

Today is National Day, it marks the 41st year of a founding of a nation. Note that I wrote 'nation'. One thing I always find amusing about people. They say Singapore was founded by Stamford Raffles in 1819... but Singapore was always there, Raffles did not found Singapore. Now, I can imagine some people will 0_o and say 'what??' and will probably start shooting me down for not knowing my history (I'm a historian, so if you wanna shoot down me as a historian, you better be a history professor or practising historian). But wait, I mean Singapore was always there, it was not hiding somewhere to be found, it's always at the tip of the Malayan Peinsula, get it??? Also, I find it amusing when Singaporeans wanna celebrate the 41st birthday of Singapore... It sounds as if Singapore was not around 41 years ago and due to a miracle from God, the island sprouted out from the ocean and became what we know as the Singapore island today. To me, National Day marks the day when Singapore officially became a nation. Yes, if people mean 'birthday' as in the inception of the Singaporean nation, I would say so. Singapore was forced to become a nation after 9 August 1965, this no one can deny it. And the separation 41 years ago marks the beginning of the Singaporean nation we see today. But I just simply can't stand it when I see people cutting a birthday cake in commemoration of a supposedly 'birthday' of an island. It becomes and sounds stupid. Not that I wanna complain about the 'zeng hu' is being stupid, but then Singaporeans act stupid at times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection