Dunno how long, dunno how short

Commit to the LORD whatever you do,
and your plans will succeed.
- Proverbs 16:3

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
- Proverbs 1:7


Amen.

I saw the first verse by accident in a gift shop at Bukit Timah Plaza on Thursday, after my hair cut (I'll never cut it short again). It somehow strucked a chord in me. Then I saw the second verse in my bible just now while on the 966 back from Eunos. Quite timely advice from God in the face of the culmination of school work in weeks to come. (Can't believe I have to do something on Gulf War for War and Soc... I want to do a film review on Vietnam War though). But then, commit everything to Lord, He will see to it lah, I shall not be found in want.

Friday was a rather interesting day. We had a fruitful time in Edwin's house studying and cooking, and making stupid booboos in trying to get the steamboat ready. At the end of the day it was all oily and free from hunger. We overestimated the amount of food we can eat... We had a lot of leftovers from the steamboat, and believe me, it was considered one of the best steamboats I had for sometime. QP made sushi, but it wasn't exactly that alike also, though still taste nice. Our inexperience in the kitchen showed in that few hours. Totally caught offguard. But then, the points dun matter, just like the fullstop that I'm going to put at the end of this sentence, it just doesn't matter. I am glad to see YT gelling into the caregroup and enjoying himself spending time with us. Certainly, his sincerity in trying to establish a relationship with the whole cg has been most encouraging to the whole cg.

Saturday was also another God-inspired day, not in terms of activity but some sort of spiritual reminder from God and His Holy Spirit... okay, both are the same. As I was walking to block 121 to offer extra-curriculum educatory advice to an extremely unworried paranoid normal younger entity that runs on blood and maple leaf, the two words just flashed in front of me: salt and light. In case you dun know:

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
- Matthew 5:13-16


Later that day, Ben was reminding me back the uni district vision: to be a strong biblical young adult, making an impact to our immediate social circle, to be prepared for the challenges of the working world, to be globally poised, and to be ready to move ahead in life. He was challenging me to envision what sort of ministry would I want to build and leave behind in my remaining 2.5 years of NUS studies before I graduate and step out of the school and into the working world. Along with other things he said to me and a short meeting with QP, the two words that flashed upon me made sense. Salt and light.... but too much sense to put them into words, so I decided not to until I can.

I dunno how long, I also dunno how short. I looked at the extension cable, and realised, it's not the wrong solution, it's the long solution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Four Thoughts From Research and Ethics