Sympathy - the Wee aftermath

After yesterday's experience in one of the many MPS that I have attended, I think I can understand Wee Shu Min's sentiments for a second, though not actually adopting the attitude that she has. To a degree, I can understand where she's coming at, though I still disagree with her stand.

Basically, what happened yesterday was that there was a disgruntled taxi driver who came in with a complaint. What she complained was that despite the fare hike for taxi, the rent of the taxis also went up, therefore the money actually goes into the companies' wallet. She complained that the drivers have to work hard for their income and the CEOs they get millions for bonus and was crying out that the government was not creating any new jobs and more taxi companies are coming to saturate the market and that she's only able to earn $30 per day by driving 12-13 hours without a relief driver (although she mentioned at the height of her emotions that she has a relief driver). Basically in short, she was complaining that the government sucks.

I was looking at her... thinking if I were the interviewer, I would have scorned her that she just simply dun know how to drive a taxi smartly, cos I know of taxi drivers who can survive in such situations. I could have shouted her back, throw her out of the room, slap her ten times in the face... but before I carry on, I must first clear up that this particular lady she came in rude, banging our tables like there's not her business, staring at virtually everyone in the room. I thank God for stopping me from doing anything rash. But then, she has a point. I keep on seeing people coming to look for jobs, although some of them they are just picky.

Then I realise that sometimes, it's not a matter that the government is not doing enough, but the people they are not doing enough to make the policies work. I'm beginning to believe that for any policies from the government to work, the participation and partnership from the people and the government agencies. If one side lay back, then the policies of course would not work. This can be seen in almost all the policies the government introduced. The Workfare, for example, requires the people to be willing to go for the upgrade while also requires the government to provide the relevant upgrades for the people. Some of the welfare schemes from the COMCARE requires the people to stay in a job for a period of time, while the government provides them with financial assistance throughout this period of time. Therefore, it's never a one-sided thing.

I can therefore sympathise with Wee Shu Min's viewpoint, on the point that Singaporeans have to rise up to the challenge. The situation may seem bad, but are the people going to respond to it, or are the people going to just sit back and expect the government to do something. In Singapore, this is a paradox that the people continuously cannot recognise. If only they can make up their mind what they want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity