Reflection

Yesterday, Pastor Jeff preached a sermon about fatal attraction and the warnings of temptation getting a hold on us. It seems like temptations nowadays has become a major theme in my Christian life. Certainly God is trying to tell me something. Perhaps I have been too tired and worn out these days, that God is trying to warn me of temptations coming on me as I get very 'sianz' about what I have been doing. These temptations may have manifested into wrong thinkings and such, and it is important that I keep a lookout at how temptation is affecting my own spiritual walk right now. In reality, I just need to flee, but because we know that temptation is often there in our lives, I know I just have to keep a vigilant watch out.

Ps Jeff also mentioned that 1 way to determine if we have a close relationship with God is that we know specifically our life mission in God's Kingdom. In this way (in the context of building relationships with other people, esp that of opposite gender), we can better define what we are looking for in a life partner. ie the more defined our life mission is, the less options we have and easier we can make our decisions. I find this make sense a lot. It makes sense to define what I am looking in a life partner, but it cannot be whole if I dun define it in conjunction with a life mission. I dun exactly know what my life mission is and what God wants me to accomplish in His kingdom, but I do know what I want to do for this Kingdom:

1. Set up a successful and profitable business which can help finance the Church's outreach effort (especially that in university ministry)

2. Get involved in politics and make an impact from the top.

3. Within church, probably help to build up a NUS100 in the short run, but no idea from thereafter.

Certainly speaking, if these are what God has in mind for me, then most likely my future life partner might need to share the same vision as me, especially the 2nd one (I can't have a wife who works for the WP, right).

But it's definitely not a very good time to think of having life partner as yet, although V day is nearing. I read this verse (which recurs quite often) in S.O.S... not your S.O.S but the Songs of Songs:

Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.
- Song of Songs 2:7b


Ps Jeff also mentioned something about man should be more chivalrous, otherwise we would become so holy that only the Holy Spirit can appreciate us. I find this point interesting. This is a point based on feedbacks from sisters in Church, and I'm sure that it reflects the expectations of other girls and women or whatever you call them. It just amuses me that in an era that gender equality is so much emphasized that different expectations of different genders still exist. Dun mistaken me. I think females should be viewed in the same light as males (though males are made by God to lead), and what men can do, women can do as well (though there are certainly things that obviously the different genders can do and the other cannot do that well). What's the point I'm trying to say here. It's that you can fight for gender equality for you want, expectations sometimes remain within a certain perimeter that cannot be transcended. Nevertheless, cutting all philosophical talks, I'm of course an advocate of men taking the lead and being chivalrous more. After all it adds points =P.

Ok, I'll blog more if I have the time. Till then, sayonara.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection