Balance

The usher certificate of commendation reads:

You have been serving as a wonderful leader in the ushering team. You are capable of handling pastoral and team ministry well.Being able to balance and being available to serve, you are indeed a role model for all the usher to follow after! It's a blessing to have you in the team


Quite a far cry from what I was a year ago when I was struggling to balance between leadership in the cg and leadership in the usher team. I guess over the year, I have matured to be able to balance between these two.

I sometimes look at ushers who have to leave the ministry and wonder why. Of course, they have their own valid reasons. Some, due to the specific needs of the cg, have to leave, some can't balance, others need to move on to other ministries. In any case, I have been asked frequently why I have not left the ministry. My answer is simple, that it does not contribute to me building the cg in a significant way other than allowing me to be with the cg during every saturday. Not that this is not essential as this would allow the cl to observe the cg and therefore notice if anyone has any responses to the cg. But my point is, how far can that go? If the cg needs me to be there every saturday, then there's something with the cg, right? Can be something wrong with the core team as well. But the main thing is that I dun need to be there physically, and if I need to, something is wrong with my own leadership and my coordination with my armor bearers.

Also, I need to consider the whole picture as well. After the trial uni service, I have came to appreciate that the usher ministry needs uni ushers. There wasn't many as all the old birds are leaving to take up new roles. I am not indispensable to the ministry (I hope) and yet, I realise that it takes time to train up new ushers. I choose to do that for the sake of the new service. I told myself that I would not leave unless God calls me to another ministry. Furthermore, I have to admit that Shuyi and Nick are doing a fantastic job taking care of the cg while I am away ushering. I have no good reason to leave, not at least until new ushers are ready to take up the role to lead the ministry.

It all comes down to balance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection