A retreat at Redang

The highlight of October is certainly not the 2 essays that will be due this coming 21 Oct but it was certainly an interesting experience with Hope Ipoh and Petaling Jaya at Redang over the weekend. Before I proceed further, below is some sceneries of Redang island:











Yes, I included a squirrel as part of the scenery cos it is as such. It was part and parcel of the daily view at the cookhouse...

Anyway, the group of us from Hope Singapore went to this retreat with the people from Hope Ipoh and Hope PJ. It was quite an exciting trip for me as it's the first time I'm attending a retreat with Hope people from different Hope churches. Not that I have not interacted with other Hope churches. Indeed, I do have friends in Hope HK also, but this is the first time I spent quite some intimate time with the brothers and sisters from the sister churches in a prolonged period of time staying together. Below are some footages of the trip itself:







We arrived at Kuala Trengganu at about 6am on Saturday morning, after a thrilling 8 hours ride in a bus that goes faster than any vehicle in Singapore (saved for F1). We were picked up by some brothers and sisters from Hope Ipoh to the jetty and as you see in the photos, we met up with them. And the photos are footage of us in the jetty and us in life jacket in the boat to Redang. It was a slow but interesting ride. Took some time for us to break the ice with these brothers and sisters as well, considering that it's the first time some of us are seeing them.

Upon checking in and having our lunch, we proceeded with a short praise at the side of a 'river'. It was an interesting time of praise and worship and as usual, I felt quite blessed by the fact that there are brothers and sisters from different Hope churches and yet we are singing the same songs to worship God. Blessed indeed as it serves to remind that we are not the only one working and serving God. After the time, we went snorkelling and it was my first time snorkelling. It was a beautiful scene (sorry I dun have photos) but I was quite glad to be able to see God's creation under the sea (does the song 'Under the sea' rings a bell?).










After the snorkeling, before we ate dinner, we had a beach service. It was service in the open air, under the eyes of the general public. I was like 'whoa' when I saw people passing by and looking at us, some even paused to listen. I used to be a bit apprehensive about such stuff but I began to pray to God to make use of this opportunity to touch people, since we are doing it under the sun (literally). It was a short service, with brothers and sisters from Hope Ipoh leading the PnW, David preaching and Edmund giving his testimony. Honestly speaking, I was quite blessed by the service, or rather the fact that we had the service under the sun. Wonder if we can do so in Singapore...

The evening was followed by dinner and a teaching from Xingni about productive Christian. I gave a testimony for the lesson. Was quite stunned how much the testimony coincided with the teaching, although I have already known the topic. It was later followed by the 'blue sand' encounter when some of us went off to look for 'blue sand' or rather 'planktons'. Too bad I dun have any photos to show you all...

The second day was a day devoid of photos, for me at least. Morning was snorkeling and afternoon, the HS people spent some time after team building by HPJ to share about some of our views on our experience. The afternoon went past quite quietly. It was followed by a teaching from Claramae about making beneficial decision and David (after dinner) on bringing God's influence into the world. (I will share some of my thoughts later in this article). I managed to lead a praise and Edmund a worship.






The last day began with a 'sunrise worship' and devotional. Then we rushed to check out. Nothing much, but I had a good time being 'lame'. The boat journey back:





The journey back was accompanied by some interesting sharing with some brothers and sisters regarding what we want to do in the future and what's our dream for God. A windy and sunny journey back to mainland nonetheless.







And above are the unglam sleeping 'beauties'....

Overall speaking, I found that the retreat has been quite a blessing to all of us, HS, HI or HPJ the same. I was personally quite excited. For me, it was a trip to see what God is doing in the rest of the world, at other Hope churches, and indeed, I have heard testimonies during this trip as in how God blessed this Hope community in Ipoh. The people are mostly at the same life station as me and it was easy for me to relate with them. And we talked a lot on our service to God, our struggle and our dreams and visions for Him.

Teaching wise, I was blessed a lot by the teachings. Although I have the teaching on productive Christian in my laptop, received the third one in HK and sort of know how to make beneficial decisions, I realised that there is never too many times that you will receive a teaching as each time, God speaks to you in a different manner. I especially enjoyed these teachings a lot. I will blog more about my thoughts in later posts but let's just say that 2 Tim 3:16 applies in all situation:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.


Service wise, I was glad that I was able to serve the brothers and sisters from Hope Ipoh and encouraged them. I prayed that my testimony blessed the people.

Hopefully, we can continue to keep in touch and continue to encourage one another.

Till the next time I blog... I will blog about some thoughts on the teachings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity