Faith in what? Love in what?

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Perhaps one of the things that Jesus and His apostles had taught and which had been recorded down in the bible is about the issue of money and our desire to grow our riches. How many times do we see people having being mastered by their greed, been destroyed by their greed? How many times do we see people disappointed when they failed to achieve their material successes and achievements? How many times do we see people panicking just because they did not get the result that they wanted? And yet, of all things, they missed out on the one important thing that they ought to seek: God Himself.

I recently went down for an interview. I spoke with some of the people working there. They are very motivated people but I saw something that can potentially turn me off. They celebrate successes, which is not necessarily bad, but it seems that at the same time, they are overtaken by the money that they are earning. Some of the Christians in the company seems more interested in earning the money than any other things else. I wonder if I will become like that, knowing my own character. But I am not condemning anyone here, dun misread me. I am merely stating the fact that people do start to place their material success over what is really more important.

Even as I am searching for a job now, I realise, as I mentioned in my previous posts, that I need to depend more on God and less on myself. I can be easily swayed by the riches that some jobs promise but I need to constantly question myself, is God able to provide for me and am I able to trust God for that? It takes great courage to say yes. I know it because as I am typing, I am waiting for a reply from MFA. I hope that they will call me up for the next round of selection but if they dun, then how? I need to be able to trust God if that happens.

As it will turn out, we will always find it easier to trust God when times are good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity