Joshua 6:1-7

Now Jericho was tightly shut up because of the Israelites. No one went out and no one came in.

Then the LORD said to Joshua, "See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men. March around the city once with all the armed men. Do this for six days. Have seven priests carry trumpets of rams' horns in front of the ark. On the seventh day, march around the city seven times, with the priests blowing the trumpets. When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, have all the people give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the people will go up, every man straight in."

So Joshua son of Nun called the priests and said to them, "Take up the ark of the covenant of the LORD and have seven priests carry trumpets in front of it." 7 And he ordered the people, "Advance! March around the city, with the armed guard going ahead of the ark of the LORD."


It is almost unbelievable that the wall of the city of Jericho will collapse after a march for six days and with the loud shout of the people. But it was God's plan and it was His strategy for Joshua to bring down Jericho.

Again, it was a militarily unsound move. Perhaps the wisdom of the world would look at this example and says that it would almost be impossible that the city will fall just by this alone. But yet, remember what Paul says regarding the wisdom of the world?

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

I still wonder how many times would God continue to use the foolish things to shame the 'wise'... I myself look at my own life and I see that it is not about being 'wise' in the worldly sense but it is about following and trusting God in the very godly sense. Sounds abstract, but it just means what Paul says in Romans:

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I have to rid myself of the mindset that I need to do a lot of things to perk up my resume so that I can get a good job. And so I chose to concentrate on serving God rather than doing a lot of things and yet compromising on my service with God. And I believe that this is the period that I am going to reap the rewards of such commitment, hopefully with MinFA.

And so, like the circumcision that took place before this passage, if God asks us to adopt certain plan or strategy that seems to contradict common wisdom, then are we willing to follow Him and obey Him? Maybe it's time to ask ourselves honestly that question as we proceed on with our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection