Joshua 11:1-6

When Jabin king of Hazor heard of this, he sent word to Jobab king of Madon, to the kings of Shimron and Acshaph, and to the northern kings who were in the mountains, in the Arabah south of Kinnereth, in the western foothills and in Naphoth Dor on the west; to the Canaanites in the east and west; to the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites and Jebusites in the hill country; and to the Hivites below Hermon in the region of Mizpah. They came out with all their troops and a large number of horses and chariots—a huge army, as numerous as the sand on the seashore. All these kings joined forces and made camp together at the Waters of Merom, to fight against Israel.

The LORD said to Joshua, "Do not be afraid of them, because by this time tomorrow I will hand all of them over to Israel, slain. You are to hamstring their horses and burn their chariots."


This passage reminds me of another verse from the gospel:

And I tell you that you are Peter,and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Even when the enemies of God unite together, they are normally unable to prevail over the church and His people even if there is only one left. I remember a pastor once said, even if you are the only Christian left on earth, the Great Commission is still for you to carry out. Certainly, with the support of God, we are able to overcome obstacles that come towards us. But then, isn't this already evident from the bible?

The Pharisees and the Romans united against Jesus and the Church, but eventually the church prevailed and God's plan prevailed. In the passage, the northern kings united against Joshua but we would later read that God's people will prevail. Daniel stood against the whole Babylonian empire and those who oppose God, but God's favour and protection was with Daniel. Today, we may be the only one in our family or our social circle standing for God, but are we aware that God's favour is with us and with a partnership with God, we will eventually see victory in our lives. How about in our workplace? How about in our school?

I remember the times when I stood out for God in my project groups, when I had to uphold my own convictions. There was a few times when my project groups asked me about my faith. And I have to explain my faith to the people around. In class, I have learned not to compromise with notions of 'different historical truths' and postmodernism. I remember one of my classmates once said that I almost become the rep of the Christians in class.

Yet, I know that we have to stand up for God even if I am the only one standing up for Him. Because this is my conviction. I have seen 'hum chee' Christians who professed to be Christians but refused to stand up for their convictions, or Christians who dun act like God is in their lives. It is not in my position to judge them, but yet it makes me question to people, either in NUS or currently in anywhere, that can we really stand up for our convictions when the time comes, even when circumstances are that overwhelming?

I again remember a sharing by David last Sub D when he shared about salt and light. He mentioned that we will have our moments when we need to be salty, and missing that moment will mean that we lose our saltiness and we may lose our only chance to make the impact needed. In that case, it is only our fault to be trampled upon. I find it quite true.

I will continue to wonder about this, and if I can continue to do the same when I start working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection