Waiting....

Finally here comes the time that I can write this post. I have been waiting since 29 April that I can write this post. Actually, if things happen a bit faster, I wouldn't be writing this post but well...

It is difficult for me to specify where to start. Maybe it has to start in the beginning when God created the heaven and the earth. Maybe a bit later, when He flooded the world. Or maybe a bit later when He gave us different languages. Or a little bit further into the future when I was born. Maybe fast forward a little bit, and maybe I will start on the day I finished my last paper as a NUS undergrad on 29 April. (yes, I know that is one big chunk of crap)

The search wasn't that easy, at least after a while it seems that it was not going to be easy. It's all about my job search. Till date, a rough estimate of the number of applications stand at:

Number of VOG applications: 50
Number of gov related applications outside of VOG: 1xEDB + 1xSPRING + 1xIE Singapore + 1xCPF + 1xMAS + 1xMICA + 3xMFA + 3xMINDEF + 1xJTC + 3xWDA + 2xNYC + 1xMCYS + 1xMOE + 1x RP= 21
Number of non-gov applications = 3xETP1 + 2xETP2 + 3xETP3 + 1x'CENTIC' + 1xDWA + 1xDBS + 1xOCBC + 1xHSBC + 1xMeltwater + 1xSTE + 1xDucktainer + maybe 10 others = 26 (roughly)

Total = 50 + 23 + 20 = 97 (rough up)

The number of interviews, informal + formal, and written selection tests I have been called:

EDB: 1x telephone interview
MFA: 1x psychometric test
MND: 1x interview
MINDEF: 1x psychometric test, 1x interview
MOE: 1x interview
MOF: 1 x written test, 1x interview
MCYS: 1x interview
PSD: 1x written test, 3x tea sessions, 2x interviews
MHA: 1x interview
MOH: 2x interviews, 1x written test
Tencube: 2x interview, 1x psychometric test
DBS: 1x interview, 1x psychometric test
Dreamworks Advertising: 2x interviews
Asia Search: 1x interview
CENTIC (aka Prudential): 1x interview
Marshall Cavendish: 1x interview
Gallup: 1x telephone interview
Melioris: 1x interview
Meltwater: 1x telephone interview

Total = 32

Maybe some of the interesting anecdotes from the many interviews I had. The first place will undoubtedly go to CENTIC (aka Prudential). They advertised themselves on Jobstreet as CENTIC. So I applied and got called up for an interview. The process was interesting. I was told to go to Exit A of Newton MRT and then call the so-called HR. I called and there goes the conversation:

Me: I reached Exit A.
#1: Oh, do you see the white building on the right.
Me (my worst fear confirmed): You mean the Prudential building?
#1: Yeah, come right up to the 4th floor.

And so I went, hoping that it's just a company housed inside the Prudential building. But low and behold... I was led into a Prudential office, sat down and made to fill up a form and do a DISC. I knew something was wrong and so I decided to suka suka fill up the form. I remember writing that high income is not important to me because there are things more important than income, which is true. I remember writing that I am not very ambitious. I remember telling the interviewer that I want to set up my own business. Then she says:

#2: You are lost. You dun know what you want to do in life.
Me (thinking): Of course. How can I not be lost when I am talking nonsense and writing nonsense here.

I eventually told her that I am not interested to work with her. And I left off. I sent in a complaint letter to Jobstreet asking them to investigate CENTIC, but I dun know what has been done so far. In any case, that was the last time I applied for any job from Jobstreet and Jobstreet has certainly lost my confidence. But this sure is one classic case of a stupid interview.

The second place belongs to Tencube, the first interview. What should have been a 30 min interview became an one hour conversation. He asked me a stunning question, 'how you became a Christian?' I was quite stunned cos no one ever asked me that question in the interviews before. Then he asked me about an ethic question, 'if the company has to make an unethical decision, that without making it, it will affect everyone, what would you do?' My answer to him was that I will pray first, then ask the company to seek out different options and other alternatives first before making the decision. He commented that it was a good answer. Then at the end, he commented that the questions I asked him are good questions, that no one has ever asked him before. I was eventually offered the job, but I declined it.

The third place goes to my second interview with MOH. It was an interesting conversation with the directors.

Di#1: So what healthcare policies do you think should be improved?
Me: I'm generally quite happy with Singapore's healthcare policy. I think it's great. (for those who want to know why I answered it this way, pls talk to me privately) Although I think outpatient consultation waiting time is a bit too long.
Di#1: So how do you think we can improve this situation?
Di#2: Then how about I train more doctors, and increase the fees? It will solve the problem, right?
Me: I think no. Why? Because firstly, healthcare expenses is a sensitive issue in Singapore, just look at the last election. Secondly, there are people who go to doctors just to get that piece of MC, so more doctors probably mean more people in the queue also. I think has to deal with the problem in the root. Should promote more healthy lifestyle, and as Singaporeans get healthier, they will see less doctors and the queue will get shorter.
Di#1: Then how about the people who 'keng'?
Me: This one not MOH's problem. It is the problem of MOE to inculcate the correct values into the people.

All in all, it has been a tough 6 months or so for me. In this period, God also spoke a lot to me about waiting and waiting. After reading Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God, I realised that maybe this is the period that God wants me to open my eyes and discern His will, see where He is going, and follow after Him. I seriously think that it was not easy. Particularly after going for so many interviews and so, I tend to get a bit demoralised. But God is good. God is good. I didn't really waste this time away.

One thing that I really appreciate a lot is that I really gained an insight in who I am. It is one thing knowing that you are nothing. It is another thing really knowing that you are nothing, and this God will put you through. I think and think. I made a lot of resolutions during this period of time, and I get a lot of time to serve more actively also. One thing also is that I get to read a lot and think a lot about theological issues, things that I haven't had a chance to blog it out yet, but akan datang. One thing I know, is that God has a plan for me, and so I can wait and rest assured that my future is in His hands.

Perhaps the time when I had to make a hard decision was when Tencube offered me the job. I wanted to take it up, but then PSD called me for interview. The thing is that I am guaranteed employment if I take up with Tencube but I want to give PSD a try also. In the end, I prayed a lot, and God told me that whatever way I choose, have faith and He will continue to be with me. And I turned down Tencube in favour of going for the Civil Service. That was the last time I ever go for an interview with the private sector and from then on, the ministries just started calling me up for interviews. I had to make a lot of decisions by faith along the way, but I continued to be assured that God is with me. After all, this is what the bible is telling us. Just read Romans or Hebrews.

And I know that there are two types of responses for me at that period when I was just waiting and waiting. Either I continued to trust in Him, or I give up and go my own way. I think it was a test or a trial of faith. I'm glad I stick with Him. Till now, I still cannot fathom the thought of leaving Him, or the life of not praising Him. Something unthinkable. So I chose to stick with Him.

I think this period also allowed me to experience the support from my cg and ex-cg. I think something that is very different from the NUS group, that in the YG group, people really supported and cared for one another like what Acts really said. I will always remember the days when brothers and sisters offered to lend me money to tide over the period. Or simply just prayed for me. I really see what true friendship really is. Of course, my family members supported as well, but while it normally is expected of them, you wouldn't expect a group of friends to support you in that way. I think I really experienced the church of Acts. And I would personally stand up and refute any claims that this Hope church is not loving or needs to change the way it treats its people etc etc or craps of those standards. Cos I know there can be no further than the truth.

1 Dec will be a new turning point. After I return from KL, it will be BOOMZ. Till then, akan datang. I still have a lot of thoughts to be sorted out and stay tuned for my marketplace theology series. I stopped it for a while as I hope that I can write more substantial ones once I start work.

MOH!!!

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:28 AM

    welcome to the civil service? :)

    haha... catch you around on lotus notes bro!

    -Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. catch you around soon from 1 Dec onwards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    Thank you for the post. I was not even looking for anything Christian related, was searching for MINDEF interview waiting, and I chance upon your blog. I am in a similar phase as you right now, and the fact that this is the 2nd time that I am put into this same kind of situation within a year, and that I'm the sole breadwinner of the family, makes it even harder for me. It is really a test of my faith with God and I can become really negative and depressed at times or even complainy. However, I will bear your encounter in mind, and that I am not the only person that God put me through this. Really thanks for your sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection