Being an outstanding young adult

Ps Simon Eng preached a very inspiring sermon yesterday from the life of Joseph. Without going too much details into it, we can learn from the life of Joseph that we need to remain wholehearted to God, be righteous in our living and persevere in our walk. All these sound ok and it sets me into very serious thinking about my own life as well.

There is a point there, that everyone of us has a potential that God wants us to fulfill and the three points preached yesterday are part of what we need to do in order to reach that potential. It got me thinking again about how our young adults often think about their lives in their daily walk.

I am someone who is extremely critical about how the students nowadays think and how they place their priorities. Take for example, it seems that today, students are all vying for SEP. I am not against students going for SEP but the attitude that people display towards this (I'm using this as a case study) utterly disgust me, without mincing my words here. I was sickened when I hear the kind of reasons given when people want to go for SEP (the people in church). Very often, without going into very specific details, reasons given are spiritualised and reveal selfish intention beneath everything. True, reasons can be justified by revelation from God and substantiated through prayers and confirmations from other people, but I dun see that in EVERY cases that I have seen. Even if the reasons given for going to SEP are justified spiritually, I wonder how many people actually touched down and making sure that they accomplish what they had wanted to set out to do.

I raise this thing here as a case study. Today, I do feel a bit unsatisfied by how people think about their lives and careers, without even putting God in the picture and pausing to think what God wants to do in their lives. Of course, I feel even more unsatisfied when people dun study the bible properly, but that's for another day. I seriously feel that the part about being wholehearted towards God comes with a condition for most people, that is provided that God let them go their own way. It saddens me. And I dun exclude myself from the whole thing as well (I would be shooting myself on the foot if I dun do that).

It also makes me wonder, what would a congregation/church look like if everyone wholeheartedly seeks God and remain loyal to God in their decision making? Take another example. I have been screaming over this for some time, but I think I better rant it out here. I am extremely unhappy with the fact that people can be inconsistent with their planning of time. I told my usher team once, that we are often punctual for our work, assignments, meetings and all the secular works that we are doing, then why are we late for ushering, service, cg, shepherding, etc? To add on, the same people will not be late if they are serving on stage (my observation). So are we wholehearted towards what we are serving, or wholehearted towards God?

Until then, I understand that the Uni-YA service still has a long way to go. There are still room for improvement and we all have a part to play in it.

Comments

  1. hey hy, what's wrong with me? (building lasting frenship question) lol.

    anyway, please do point out to me when u see something wrong with me. lol. don't just rant it here. Sometimes, i may be ignorant or oblivious.

    yz

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing wrong. this post is directed to general audience, not to any specific person.

    hy

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know. i meant if ever u see something wrong, tell me asap. yup yup. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection