Why I write the way I write

This post is made possible by a series of discussion and reflection that resulted from a post from Uncle Yeo's blog post which quoted my previous post. If this confuses you, just know that it originated from my previous post. If this still confuses you, I suggest you read the first sentence again. If you are still frustrated by my previous sentence, I recommend that you read the next one. If you are getting a little bit impatient what I am going to write, continue reading.

Basically, as some of you might have noticed, sometimes my posts are quite direct and sometimes criticise a lot. Other than posts that comment on politics (which I leave no mercy for the opposition), I am basically governed by a few principles in my own writing.

Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. - Eph 4:15


I expect some critics of mine will say, 'huh? what love?'. But let's qualify. When Paul is writing this, he said 'speak the truth in love'. Yes, speak it in love. What does it mean? Starting off from a negative list approach, it does not mean being nice. He never said 'speak the truth nicely'. My own personal belief is that as Christians, sometimes love does not equal to nice, though when we speak in love, we need to be tactful to who we are speaking to and the element of grace has to be present. But we are not called to be nice, for the very simple reason that Jesus did not come down to earth to teach us being nice people. He came down to teach us how to live the way He wanted us to live. If this equates to nice, then his approach to the Pharisees and the religious authorities and some people then would have been very much different from what is being written in the records, i.e the Bible.

So I dun aim to be nice. I seek to be understanding and try not to be judgemental, but not nice. Of course, the sadistic nature in me hopes that when people read those critical posts, they will feel uneasy, buey song, displeasure and even felt provoked and emotional. If this has been your reaction, the calculative part of me will say ,'well done, you just fell into my trap'. The Christlike part of me will say, 'isn't this time to reflect whether there is truth in what i say and the time to think about is this really what God is saying in the bible?' the very academical side of me will say ,'come on, let's start thinking'. Overall, the purpose is to provoke my readers to reflect, to drive those christians who read my posts to think about the way, the truth and the life.

I dun believe in a docile christian just sitting around and receiving. If we are to kiss our brain goodbye and have everything explained to us, then Jesus would have explained every single parables that was recorded in the bible. Fortunately for us, they are there for us to think through. And I believe that the kingdom of God can make do with thinking Christians who think and search for the truth and really live out the bible, and not just people who just live out blindly what they are told. And I dun claim to be writing the truth.

That's all I have to say about why I write the way I write. Of course, I go by another set of assumptions when I write about politics: the opposition sucks. But that one is really a prejudice rather than principle.

Comments

  1. "This post is made possible by a series of discussion and reflection that resulted from a post from Uncle Yeo's blog post which quoted my previous post. If this confuses you, just know that it originated from my previous post. If this still confuses you, I suggest you read the first sentence again. If you are still frustrated by my previous sentence, I recommend that you read the next one. If you are getting a little bit impatient what I am going to write, continue reading."

    I snorted with laughter when I read that! :D BEST...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity