Convictions of a lifetime II

Following up from my post previously regarding LKY's conviction, I continue to ponder about my own conviction to extend the Kingdom of God. I can't help but to notice Paul's convictions for God:
Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? - 2 Corinthians 11:23-29
I wonder how many people have the conviction enough to go through what Paul has gone through. Perhaps one interesting thing to note is that when he was writing the Corinthians letter, he had to endure the 'nonsense' from the Corinthians (which explained his pissed-off). A lot of time, I found myself unable to match up to his convictions and indeed, I look up to Paul as an exemplary, not only in terms of his faith but also his intellect. Yet, it is encouraging to continue to hear stories of such convictions for God. Ravi Zacharias liked to tell this story which I found it quite 'intimidating' but yet it's food for thought.

When Ravi Zacharias was in Cambodia preaching in 1974, two of his closest friends there were this general by the name of Chirrc and the head of the Bible Society, Lum Son. These two, from what I heard, were incredible followers of Christ. Seriously. When the Khmer Rouge took over Cambodia, the Americans offered Chirrc and Lum Son flight to safety. Chirrc got his family onto the helicopter but decided to stay behind. His last words for them were "if I am able to lead one Khmer Rouge to Christ, I'm willing to die for it". Within hours, the Khmer Rouge took Chirrc in front of the French Consulate and gunned him down and Lum Son was drowned.

Incredible conviction. I will continue to ask myself this question if we really have the convictions to live out such a life for Christ. We may not need to go through what these people go through but it is inevitable that one day, we will need to face the choice, Christ or comfort, God or the world. Let us not deceive ourselves that we can have our pie and eat it. I know in my heart, although I wish for it, it is far from the truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity