The peril of secular philosophy

The past few months I have been exposing myself to different philosophies (those relevant in the defense of Christ) as well as different types of theologies. After listening and reading about some of them, it is not difficult to understand why some secular philosophies (esp those nihilistic and existential ones) are so attractive and stumbling to the common believers. Think about what Aldous Huxley said:
"I had motives for not wanting the world to have a meaning; consequently assumed that it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption. The philosopher who finds no meaning in the world is not concerned exclusively with a problem in metaphysics, he is also concerned to prove that there is no valid reason why he personally should not do as he wants to do, or why his friends should not seize political power and govern in the way that they find most advantegous to themselves... For myself, the philosophy of meaningless was essentially an instrument of liberation, sexual and political."
I think the crux is that secular philosophies (generalising here) provide us an escape route away from the moral and ethical struggles and 'free' us to volitionally live a life of immorality and wantonness devoid of sense of guilt and shame. These are the logical conclusion of these secular philosophies. Think about it, adhering to these philosophies (I won't elaborate much here but read up if you are interested), I will no longer need to think twice about cheating on work hours, being dishonest in my dealings with my colleagues and friends, neither do I need to restrain from engaging in sexual indulgence. Nothing stops me from living a decadent life of sin and this, in itself, is attractive and stumbling. We are all sinful creatures and we gravitate naturally towards sin.

And knowing about these secular philosophies means you know more and hear more about the logical consequences of these philosophies. Such is the peril.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity