Interesting comment

I received an interesting unrelated comment from the previous post:
I would like to invite you to read a special gift from the wilderness of cyberspace Rev 12:6... Not one child of God will be put in a hell fire no matter what their sins. It never entered the heart or mind of God to ever do such a thing Jer 7:31, Jer 19:5 and I prove it by the word of God at http://minigoodtale.wordpress.com. The true Gospel (Gospel means Good Tale) now delivered Rev 12:5, 13 sets us free to love. Before you judge this gather all the evidence first Pro 18:13. 
Interested enough, I decided to go into the website to see what this person is talking about...  She has a rather interesting outlook on her faith, thinking that she is the prophet that Moses had talked about. I do not know where this comes from but apparently, in her posts, she quoted a lot... and I mean a lot of bible verses to substantiate her points. I didn't really read through the posts, cos she just quotes and quotes...

It is not my imperative to be judging the blog, as much as it's strange given that polemic is not my strong point (but come to speak of it, I should also equip myself with polemic). But it shows to me that one person can use the bible to prove virtually anything, if you are willing to quote anything out of context. This can also happen to other texts as well. The Jehovah Witness was reported to be misquoting academic articles to prove their theology. Furthermore, due to the numerous translations of the bible, I can simply pick one which reflects my theology best. This is what actually happened in this websites. All the bible quotes are literally from KJV, which posed a problem because if you want to use the KJV, which was translated sometime in the 1600s, you have to quote it in context on how the language was being used and the theological understanding of that time, especially if you want to make claim that you are the prophet that the bible is talking about and strive to prove it from the bible. And this is my case for choosing ultimately to ignore the website, deeming it a waste of time, that bible is being quoted out of context. And looking at the exchange of comments, I can simply conclude that if what she is doing and saying are wrong, then it is really up to God and not up to any netizens who have been engaging her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity