LGL

In some ways, reflecting on what Wenjiang shared last night during the YG prayer meeting, I must admit that leadership is a lonely journey in my context.

I sometimes wish that I can use fatigue as an excuse to cancel LG or not go for service and use work or appointments with friends as a reason to not attend prayer meetings. I sometimes wish that I can close my eyes on all the problems and live life as a simple LG member.

But Wenjiang said it right - it's a matter of making that simple decision and saying 'no' to all these temptations. Why do we want to lead a LG in the first place? There is no reward for leading a LG. I don't get a special bonus from church for expanding my LG into a unit, or bringing in 100 people to Christ. It is, in practicality, a shit task that earns no appreciation sometimes. But if I want special reward, I would do better if I hedge my bet in my work or the world. If I want appreciation, I have no need for the church as investing my time somewhere else might have been a better bet as well.

I don't claim to speak for all the LGLs but for me, it is clear that I am honored to be entrusted the task of leading the flock of God. It may be a shit job but looking after sheep is one such kind of job in the first place. I think of the time when Jesus preached till late and the people were hungry. The episode eventually became the incident of feeding the 5000. It is clear that Jesus had compassion and wanted to feed them and meet their needs. That's why it was recorded in John that He followed that episode with the proclamation that He is the Bread of Life. I have skimmed through the details here but I just want to point out, a lot of time, we do not take up the leadership of a group for fun. There is no glory in leading a group in church for the secular eyes.

Yet the bottom lines remains the last thing Jesus instructed Peter personally - feed His sheep, because we love Him and He commanded us to love people.

It is indeed a lonely journey but Jesus walks with us in this. At least it's a company of 4 altogether.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection