Happy Birthday?

I used to say this but for some weird reason, I am beginning to find that saying 'Happy Birthday, Jesus' a really weird thing. It seems almost that this is a phrase that belongs more to folk theology than any other things.

I believe that it is theologically wrong to say 'Happy Birthday, Jesus'. And I am serious. Of course I don't go around Facebook pointing that out to whoever posted that on their wall. But the scripture just does not support the 'birthday' of Jesus. It more supports the coming of Jesus as the God incarnate on earth than anything. Why? Because in the beginning, there was the Word, and there was God, and the Word was God. For to us a Son is given - the Son is not born, the child was. If the Logos was with God and the Logos was God, can someone tell me how on earth are we going to celebrate the birthday of the Word? If the Son is given, not born, then what birthday are we talking about?

I somehow have the feeling that I will talk about this again next year...

Merry Christmas everybody. Today we celebrate the coming of our Lord Jesus in blood and flesh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity