On servanthood

I was meditating on what I learned from the book of Mark a few weeks back. It was on the concept of servanthood as depicted in Mark. In particular, the concept was highlighted in the context of the disciples arguing over leadership and prominence and Jesus told them:
Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. - Mark 10:43-45
My lecturer told us that in modern day leadership concept, leaders are taught to demand service from their followers while the Bible taught us that the leader needs to learn to serve others first.

Reflecting further, serving whether God or other people, as a spiritual discipline, is not just for those who are casually interested. While Christ's summon to service is the most spiritually grand and noble way to live a life, it is typically as pedestrian as washing someone's feet, according to Don Whitney. We must not be mistaken that serving is an option, because the worshipper of God is expected to serve as part of his worship unto God.

Without dwelling too much into the technical understanding of service, going back to my starting point, I was trying to relate this concept of servanthood to the increasing consumeristic nature of the church goers. It is evident even as I observe people looking at churches as if the church needs to meet their needs first above everything. This may include the need to look for a life partner, the need for intellectual stimulation (I would have condemned my own LG long ago if I need to depend on the church and my group to meet this need), the need for entertainment, the need for friendship etc.

But if let's say, we go back to this concept of servanthood, and everyone is willing to step up to serve one another, then wouldn't everybody's need be met eventually?

Comments

  1. Hey thanks bro for sharing this =) After so many years, I still learn something new many times when I read your posts. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection