Support for God's individual

This is a series of reflections that I sent to my fiancee from my own Bible readings. I have posted them in this blog so that it is easier to keep track for future reflections. 

10 So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. 11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. 12 When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. 13 So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword. Ex 17:10–13.
In the episode when Moses sent Joshua to overcome the Amalekite army, there was actually 3 levels of support that allowed the victory to happen. Joshua was supported by Moses who ensured victory as long as he held up his hands. Moses was in turn supported by Aaron and Hur who helped him lift his hands. The whole nation of Israel was ultimately supported by God who was really the real mastermind behind the victory.

This caused me to think about the mutual support that we have been talking about. Humanly speaking, we need one another and an "ecosystem" for our future family to grow healthily. And this definitely needs to be discussed and discussed over again. But in view of the Scripture, I look at God as the One whom we depend on ultimately for support. Both are not mutually exclusive although where we place our trust on is. Do I trust God enough to know that He will provide for us? Do I trust God enough to know to look on Him when things are not doing good? Or do I trust the people around me more than I trust God? How do I know then that I trust the people around me as proxies for God rather than trusting them just like how I would trust an idol?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity