Giving and Honor

This is a series of reflections that I sent to my fiancee from my own Bible readings. I have posted them in this blog so that it is easier to keep track for future reflections. 
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”- Mk 12:41–44.

As I was reading this episode, I was wondering if this episode is telling us to give a lot more than what we are willing. But I would think that it is not the case. Focusing on the woman who gave everything that she had, what was Jesus impressed by? That she gave a disproportionate amount of money as compared to her wealth? Or that she gave out from a heart that wants to honor God?

It is easy for people who are well-to-do to honor God with their wealth. If I earn $1 million a year, giving $100,000 would be a small sum. But if I earn, say $200,000, that same amount will kill my finances (probably). But I remember what Pastor Jeff said when he preached about tithing a few months back. What matters more is not that someone gave a lot but yet it only represents a small ministry. What matters more is that the size of the ministry represented by the giving. Even if the amount of giving is small, but if the heart behind the giving represents a huge ministry, it would mean more than a large giving.

Applying to us individually, I think at the heart of the matter is how deep our giving to God is in terms of our heart. Are we giving just as an obligation or are we giving, in terms of finance and time and effort and sweat and tears, as a way to honor God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity