God's Gift, His Glory

This is a series of reflections that I sent to my fiancee from my own Bible readings. I have posted them in this blog so that it is easier to keep track for future reflections. 
Then the LORD said to Moses, 2 “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills—4 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5 to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. 6 Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you: 7 the tent of meeting, the ark of the covenant law with the atonement cover on it, and all the other furnishings of the tent—8 the table and its articles, the pure gold lampstand and all its accessories, the altar of incense, 9 the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, the basin with its stand—10 and also the woven garments, both the sacred garments for Aaron the priest and the garments for his sons when they serve as priests, 11 and the anointing oil and fragrant incense for the Holy Place. They are to make them just as I commanded you.”  Ex 31:1–11.

After giving detailed instructions on how to build the place of worship (aka the Tabernacle) so that the Israelites can have a proper place for the presence of God to dwell among them, God proceeded to tell Moses that He has provided the skill and abilities amongst the Israelites to fulfil the tasks He had given Moses.

A few aspects to note here as I reflect on this passage:

1. When God commands, He will provide the means. In the context of Exodus, when God commanded Moses to go back to Egypt, He did not exactly send Moses out alone but He sent Aaron to accompany Moses. When God commanded Moses to build the Tabernacle, He did not exactly leave him at lurch but He provided the skillsets needed within the community. To extrapolate further, God almost always build upon our skills and experience when He calls us to His work. David was trained to kill lions and bears before he killed Goliath. Paul was trained in the ways of the Romans, Greek and Jews before he was sent out to the Gentiles. Peter already demonstrated leadership qualities when he was chosen to be Cephas. So likewise, as I reflect back, God probably already provided me the means in my own personal journey with Him to further the ministries He has led me to, in this season and future seasons. So the question is how I can continue to build upon them so that God can use them further for His glory.

2. The skills and abilities that God provided His people are almost exclusive for His glory. The abilities given to the Israelites are not for them to profit from it, but to build the Tabernacle where God's glory will dwell in. Paul's training in Greek, Romans and Jewish thoughts was for His glory (Acts 9:15-16). Even in 1 Corinthians, Paul explicitly mentioned that spiritual gifts are given not for personal stuff, but for the edification of the whole church, the community of God. So I ask, how am I using the abilities and gifts that God has blessed me with for the furtherment of His glory, rather than for my own personal gain?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection