To have full belief in Him

This is a series of reflections that I sent to my fiancee from my own Bible readings. I have posted them in this blog so that it is easier to keep track for future reflections. 
23 “ ‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” - Mk 9:23–24.
There was this episode where the disciples were unable to exorcise a spirit from a boy in Mark 9. The father had to turn to Jesus in the end and the above conversation occurred. The interesting thing about the father is that he claimed to be have believed Jesus and yet had some form of unbelief that has to be dealt with. The father believed in Jesus and yet recognised that he had reservations about Jesus and this has to be dealt with

I wonder if this applies to everyone, to me, to us - that we can claim to believe in God and yet have reservation about Him. It perhaps manifests in how we make back-up plans (however good that idea may be) when we are obeying God in His service. It can happen very subtlely, e.g. I know that I am called by God to teach, but I can secretly make back-up plans to maybe go back to serve as a musician if it doesn’t seem to work out in every sense of the word.

At the end of the day, I hope that I can say with a clear conscience that I have demonstrated an unconditional openness to God, that I fully trust in Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection